How to hire the right financial advisor
Many times business owners find that they need a professional financial advisor to help guide them through the financial challenges that their business may experience. However, it can be a challenge in and of itself to find the right person to help you with this. The good news is that there are plenty of tips to help you do this. By following these guidelines you can find the right financial advisor to help you successfully manage the finances of your business. Here is what you need to know about how to hire the right financial advisor-
- Hire someone with experience-Keep in mind that whoever you hire will be dealing with the most important aspect of your business-its finances. Because of this you want to make sure that you find a professional advisor with at least 5 years of experience. Take the time to thoroughly research any potential candidate's background. You should also ask plenty of questions about their qualifications and professional training. Most financial advisors offer a free initial meeting. You should be wary of anyone who wants to charge up front. At this initial meeting you should ask how long they have been in practices, how many companies like yours he or she has worked with, and what is their area of expertise. A reputable financial advisor will be happy to provide you with this information.This is the best way to make sure that you will feel comfortable with your final hiring decision.
- Hire someone with the right credentials-When you are checking out potential financial advisors you want to also check their credentials and licenses. Keep in mind that the services that are offered by one financial advisor may be very different from another. You should also check to make sure that they are registered with the appropriate government agencies for your area. It cannot be stressed enough that you should always check out someone yourself no matter how many referrals and recommendations that you have received. The bottom line is that most financial planner horror stories come from clients who failed to take this step.
- Hire someone you can afford-When you are meeting with a potential financial advisor he or she will let you know how and what they charge. You should be able to receive a written estimate of the fees and costs involved for the business finances services that you want. Keep in mind that the more services you want the higher the prices. You should also ask if the planner is paid by the hour, charges a flat fee, or receives a percentage as commission. It is only after you have received this information that you can determine if you can afford their services.
- Hire someone who will be doing the work-Many business owners are shocked to find out that the financial advisor that they hired is not the person who is actually working on their business needs. You need to have a clear understanding of exactly who will be working on your account. If there are other people who will be working on your business finances you should check them out, as well.
- Hire someone who has the same financial goals and objectives-It is crucial to make sure that the financial advisor that you hire and you are on the same page. Your financial goals and objectives should be what they are working for. You should also ask if the financial planner will be making recommendations or providing referrals to others who will do so. The bottom line is that if you can't communicate with your potential financial advisor then you are better off considering someone else.