Encourage Cleanliness With 5S
Every company can use a little housekeeping from time to time. While some companies will turn to others to come in and deal with issues, the best thing you can do is to address the issues your company has in-house. This will allow you to understand what you need to do in order to fix the problems and to prevent them from happening again. The 5S method is a great way to encourage cleanliness and organization within your facility. The great part about it is that it is a system that you can use in order to help improve not only your bottom line but your employee's job satisfaction as well. Your staff members will not be wasting their time anymore and they will have an easier time getting their jobs done. So what is the 5S method and how can you make it work?
Like many manufacturing tools, the 5S system came from Toyota. Toyota is the master behind lean manufacturing, one of the best methods for quality control and waste reduction. With lean manufacturing you will end up focusing on a variety of processes and systems that are not contributing to the overall effectiveness of the company. Using the 5S system you will be able to organize the company as you can see that work areas are not well kept and this can easily lead to lost production. When employees have to move around and get up and head over to another area of the facility just for a tool that they need or they can't find things because their work area is too cluttered, it shows you that it is time for 5S.
Stuff will get in the way of not only one employees ability to work but it gets in the way of just about everyone else as well. When things are organized, you can get your job done quickly and you are going to be happier. Just think of how nice it is for you to come home to a neat and tidy home compared to coming home to one that has clothing or toys all over the ground and mounds of dishes to do. This is what the 5S system will solve as it gets rid of all that clutter and the annoying things that are happening in your workplace and will assist in making the facility nicer for everyone.
The 5S system is broken down into 5 separate pillars that we will briefly cover:
1. Seiri or Sort. This is where you will start as you will identify all of the areas that need improvement. You will be able to look at all of the things that are out of place and will take them back to where they belong. Basically you are finally organizing!
2. Seiton or Set. This is where you will end up looking at the tools and things that you need to keep and will remove all the other items that are simply clutter. You will then determine a place for these other tools to go so you aren't dealing with them in your workstation.
3. Seiso or Shine. With this tool you will focus on cleanliness. Here is the time where you want to clean away! You will get out everything that you can to clean and will ensure that your machinery is up to date and has been properly serviced. Have pride in your organization and really make it look nice.
4. Seiketsu or Standardization. With this phase you will end up focusing on making it a priority to keep the company clean and organized. Everyone will play a part in the standardization of the new look and process the company has adopted.
5. Shitsuke or Sustain. Now that it is done, you will make it a policy. This allows you to sustain the process with tools and other things.