The benefits of having an employee wellness program
More and more employers are beginning to add an employee wellness program, to the list of benefits that they offer their staff. While in the past many employers doubted the lack of benefits of having this type of program, today companies realize that they are not only saving money, but they need to have an employee wellness program, to recruit the top talent in their industry. Many employers are worried that they cannot afford to put an employee wellness program in place. However, small companies can now offer this type of benefit, similar to their larger competition.The good news is that there are a variety of options that will let you offer your employees, wellness options that fit your budget and the needs of your company. Here are some of the benefits of having an employee wellness program-
- Having an employee wellness program means that you have healthier employees-Studies show that companies that don't have an employee wellness program, have a sicker workforce. This means that your employees are using more sick time, are less productive and have lower morale. Worse yet, when your sick employees come to work time and time again, they continue to put your healthier employees at risk, making it just that much more difficult to get your staff healthier.
- Having an employee wellness program means that your employees have higher morale and job satisfaction-It has been shown time and time again, that those companies that have an employee wellness program, have employees that report a much higher level of job satisfaction and morale. This not only means that your staff is happier (which is good in and of itself), it means that they are happier doing what you need them to do. This in turn translates into better production and customer service, which both contribute to your bottom line.
- Having an employee wellness program saves you money-Every business is looking to save money, in whatever way they can. Having an employee wellness program can help you lower the cost of your insurance. Both your workman's compensation and your health insurance rates are based in part, on how healthy your workforce is. When your employee wellness program is working, this means that your employees are healthier, which save you money in insurance premiums. In addition, healthier employees require less sick days, use their insurance less, and have fewer on the job accidents or injuries. All of these can save any employer a considerable amount of money.
- Having an employee wellness program can make your company more productive-The bottom line is that you need your employees there at work, to get their job done. If your employees are constantly out sick or worse yet, come to work sick, you are facing lower productivity and the chance for more mistakes. Healthy employees are productive employees. Having an employee wellness program not only improves the health of your staff, but improves the overall productivity of your company.
- Having an employee wellness program makes you more attractive to top job candidates-Studies have shown that more and more job applicants are looking for additional benefits outside of salary. This means that if a company has an employee wellness company, they are much more likely to attract the interest of the top talent in their industry. Many companies have begun using their employee wellness program as a recruiting tool.Whether you show pictures of your on site gym on your website, or send out marketing that lets potential applicants know that you offer smoking cessation, weight control or nutrition classes, this can be a great way to get your company noticed, by the people you want to hire.