How to make your office more secure
Do you often wonder how secure your office is?Would it be easy for someone to come in and access information without permission?There are many different things you can do to make your office more secure.The following is a list of five things you can do, starting now, to make your office more secure.
1. Passwords - Have passwords to everything.Put passwords on every computer.Make sure you're passwords cannot be easily guessed.It is a good idea to have a password that is a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.Also, change your password regularly.
2. Locks - Have locks to all of your files.Even files that are not considered "confidential" should have locks on them.If your office has more than one room, put locks on each room.Only certain individuals should have access to the keys to those rooms.Do not have one general key that works for every door.
3. Secure Technology - If you have computers in your office, it is a good idea to install anti-spyware on each one.Spyware monitors which websites you go to and sends lists back to central data collection points.Important information can be leaked from your office, such as email addresses, passwords, credit card details, and other confidential information.It is very important that you set up anti-spyware.There are many anti-spyware programs that you can download from online for free.It is also a good idea to install anti-virus software on the computers in your office.This will help prevent from viruses that could occur in your computer.Firewalls are also a good thing to install.These will prevent information from leaking out of your computer and network system.
4. Specific Job Descriptions - Everyone in your office should have specific job descriptions.This will create a focus and responsibilities of individuals should stay in certain realms.Everyone shouldn't know all the details of the business.You want to keep your office secure, so make sure not all information is out in the open for everyone to access.Specific job descriptions should also help create organization, which will make it easier to have your office secure.
5. Install Security Cameras - It is a good idea to install security cameras.This way if there is ever a break-in, you have hopes of catching the burglar.Just the appearance of security cameras will make the office seem more secure.You will always be able to see what is going on in your office.
6. Keep Records - Keep records of everything.Computer programs that automatically keep records of people that are logging on the network are a good idea.These programs will help you keep track of who is accessing what and when.It is also a good idea to record any changes that are made in your office, whether they be big or small.Make sure you keep all the materials used to install software.You may need to refer back to these.Make sure you keep all your records organized, so it is easy to access information.
7. Use what you need - Only use and run the programs that you need.Don't download extra programs that will slow down your computer and increase the chances of getting a virus.
8. Back-up Copies - Keep back up copies of files.It is not a good idea to leave important files on your computer, unless they are secure with a password.You should still have back up copies of files, just incase your computer crashes.You can save these on a CD, jump drive, or another easily accessible device.Make sure you name your files so they are easy to identify and find.